Leipzig Gewandhaus Concert Hall
(Gewandhaus zu Leipzig)
Gewandhaus zu Leipzig © DEFA-Stiftung
|DEFA Studio for Documentary Films|
This documentary marks the ceremonial opening of the third Leipzig "Gewandhaus" Concert Hall on October 8, 1981. Historical photos are used to present the building's history: the erection of the first hall in 1743, the rebuilding as the second hall in 1884, and its destruction during WWII. Conductor Kurt Maser describes the building's significance for young people and the international recognition which the GDR's largest concert hall has received. The documentation also includes the building's architecture and interior paintings, as well as excerpts from the orchestra's rehearsals and concerts.