DEFA Essential Collection
on Kanopy — 30% off!
In celebration of the 75th anniversary of the founding of the DEFA Studios in 2021, Kanopy launched the DEFA Essential Collection, featuring 25 newly-restored classics.
Selected feature films, documentaries and animation films give us a glimpse into the complexities of artistic production and present wide-ranging voices and styles from nearly five decades of filmmaking (1946-92). This collection helps establish the place of east German cinema in international film history.
The Essential Collection is now avaialble for 30% off! We hope you will make use of this special offer and include our films in your media collection.
- "DEFA's output includes some of the most important films for an understanding of post-war German cinema in its national and transnational contexts." — Seán Allan, Univ. of St Andrews
- "If you've never seen an East German movie, you're in for a treat. These films are well-made, with clever cinematography and superb acting." — Jim Morton, eastgermancinema.com
- "Crafted by inventive filmmakers who dared to test the limits of censorship." — Jytte Jensen, The Museum of Modern Art
- "The DEFA Film Studio may be a closed chapter in German film production, but the legacy of its output continues to invite new viewings." — Elizabeth Ward, East German Cinema and the Holocaust
- "Essential for teaching and researching the Cold War in Europe." — Evan Torner, Univ. of Cincinnati
- "The DEFA Essential Collection constitutes a true cornucopia of extraordinary films, to be (re)discovered and enjoyed by anyone interested in furthering their understanding of this important part of film history and the remarkable filmmakers who shaped it." — Juliane Camfield, Director of NYU's Deutsches Haus