The scene is East Germany in 1977, during the infamous Red Army Faction kidnapping of industrialist Hanns-Martin Schleyer in West Germany. A couple of East German teens are caught with contraband photos of West German Baader-Meinhof terrorists. In an attempt to divert the harsh punishment promised, they improvise an RAF-style kidnapping of the school principal.
Both a comedy of errors and a bitter social commentary, the film confirms Dresen's reputation as a leading director with a consummate film style.
- Essay: "Youth Culture, Terrorism and German Film History"
- An Introduction to Andreas Dresen's films
- Biography & Filmography of Director
- Interview with the Director
- Timeline: Terrorism in West Germany 1967-1998