Shortly before GDR’s collapse, Helke Misselwitz traveled by train from one end of the country to the other interviewing East German women of different ages and backgrounds. In this documentary masterpiece, women reveal their personal and professional frustrations, hopes and aspirations—and, in doing so, paint a portrait of a changing society. The landscape and architecture of East Germany, filmed in B&W on 35mm by Thomas Plenert, form the background to the stories.
- New digitally restored version and English subtitles
- Turn subtitles on/off
- Biographies & Filmographies
- “After Winter Comes Spring – Presaging the Wende,” by film historian Claus Löser
- “Narrating Women’s History in Winter Adé,” by Jennifer Creech, Univ. of Rochester
- “My November 9th, 1989,” by Helke Misselwitz
- Original trailer